Starting and building a website is no longer as difficult as it once was. There are a multitude of tutorials and videos online to help you along the way. But like anything, if you want a complicated multi-page site with lots of different features then yes, you probably are better off getting a web developer or agemcy to do this for you. And of course, here at Miniwebs we can do that for you :)
If you plan to build just a simple site with a couple of page, a few images and a contact page, and would like to 'give it a go' then here's some things you'll need to get you started.
- You will need a domain name.
- You'll need a hosting account (and a recommended plan for that account) on which to place your website
- You will likely need a website builder and should ideally use a (CMS) - Content Management System, some common ones being Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal.
- A template option is a great way to learn the ropes with templates being available from multiple sources online. Just search for Wordpress template, Joomla template etc. Our recommendation is to pay any required fee for your initial template.
- Find an online tutorial using videos, subscriptions or support pages to start adding your own pages, content, images forms etc.
- Customize and personalise your theme the way you want and need for your business.
- Installing plugins and/or extensions is a great way to 'flesh out' your website and add more features.
- Start by having your website 'offline' to the public whilst you are building your site.
- Review and test your Website before publishing it to the public or call a friend that will critique and analyse your website.
- When everything is ready, go ahead and publish.
We can help you get started! Here's what we can start you off with:
- A domain name
- A hosting account
- An email address
- Either a basic Wordpress or Joomla system
From there, you have the reins, we'll provide you with all login details, usernames and passwords you need.
Make contact with us and we'll be happy to provide you with details.